I did reach Kiyomizudera, about 15 minutes after my true encounter with the geisha. The rain started pouring once I reached the temple and although this prevented me from taking heaps more photos, I liked the rain’s effect on the whole place – it evoked a mystical feeling that made me calm and relaxed.
Kiyomizudera is a Unesco World Heritage site which literally means Pure Water Temple. Its name was due to the waterfall within the complex and in the Edo period, it was a practice to jump-off the temple, for if you survive your wish will be granted. It is prohibited now, but there were very few casualties because there is lush vegetation below that would cushion the fall.
Overall, I was really elated with how my first day in Kyoto , travelling alone, turned out.
I capped the day by eating this lovely bowl of noodles from one of the restos inside the Kyoto Station. At 800 yen on a really hungry stomach after a full walking day, it’s priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment