Sunday, August 24, 2008

My mission in Gion

1) The Kyoto National Museum of Modern Art
2) Yasaka Shrine sign and 3) entrance



After Ginkakuji, I’ve realized I can’t possibly do all the recommended walks – so I made a decision on the places that I absolutely must see. Definitely on top of my list is Gion, the old geisha district – I wasn’t about to leave Kyoto without seeing a real geisha. I’m on a mission!

I hopped on a bus (I’ve got bus pass worth 500 yen, which is like a ride-all-you-can deal) and mistakenly got off at the Kyoto National Museum of Modern Art. I was going to actually go inside and view the exhibits (it’s really, really hot and the museum was air-conditioned) but then there was an entrance fee and I didn’t want to waste any more time, lest I miss the geishas (I did stay for like 10 minutes and relieved myself from the humidity outside). The old tourist guide told me they usually appear at about 4 p.m and I had a lot of walking to do.

I rode the bus again, this time stopping in the correct bus stop. I looked up beyond my umbrella and saw this bright orange colored shrine which turned out to be Yasaka Shrine. While inside, I checked the map and saw that I can reach Kiyomizu-dera Temple at the end of this trail, and at the same time pass by at least 6 shrines or temples of the way. I braced myself for more hours of walking.

No comments: