I sometimes took my time, snapping photos or getting poor Japanese tourists to snap my picture for me (I was lugging a tripod, but couldn’t be bothered to set it up). At the end of the Yasaka Shrine is the Maruyama Park, and along the south side of this park, at the foot of the mountain is the Choraku-ji Temple (apparently this has got a beautiful garden as well, I wouldn’t know though because once again I didn’t bother entering – I was keen on getting to Kiyomzu-dera before it closes down).
Choraku-ji Temple
Kodaji Temple
Kept on walking, passing by narrow streets of the Kodaiji district where I saw more temples (just took photos of them, not really sure what they’re called).Then I saw the gates to the Kodaiji Temple, got in, took some photos. From here, it’s kind of hard to miss the adjacent Ryozen Kannon, with the big image of Buddha.
Ryozen Kannon
(one of the temples I passed by, don't know what it's called)
By this time I was really exhausted, having been walking under the blazing and humid 36 degrees since early morning. It’s almost 3 pm and I still have a long way to go. It is also then when I talked to two young Japanese girls (who were doing the walk as well but doing it in style, in stiletto heels to boot) and somehow we were able to communicate with each other despite their lack of English skills and my lack of Japanese. When they saw the look of disbelief when I realized I’ve still got a long way, they cheerfully exclaimed, with matching raised fists to encourage me – “Fight-o!” How many times have I heard that line in the many Jdoramas I’ve watched? So amusing!
Anyway, I trod on, and I remember being busy with juggling too many things – walking, fanning air to my face while holding an umbrella, and making sure to that I don’t stray on the wrong path. When I looked up, there she was, all dressed up, walking and taking small steps, skin white as snow and lips red as blood – so beautiful and unreal – the geisha that I have read about and seen so many times in movies, TVs, documentaries. It was all so sudden that I could only
No comments:
Post a Comment